Location: Amsterdam or Warsaw
Department: Pay TV and Global Brands
The Pay TV & Global Brands factual team is responsible for the programme scheduling for Discovery Channel, Discovery Science, Animal Planet, Discovery Family France, DTX, World and HD Showcase across Benelux, France, Italy, the Nordics, CEEMCA, Middle East and Africa, as well as the pan EMEA channels.
This role if one of two responsible for the successful planning of our flagship channel, Discovery, together with Discovery Science and the smaller factual pan-EMEA brands. Managing a team of planners across multiple locations, you will be responsible for meeting ratings targets, working closely with local teams to ensure the channels support their commercial strategy, building brand equity with affiliates and viewers.
You will be a highly skilled and innovative planner with deep content knowledge, sound editorial judgment, able to interpret ratings data and audience behaviour to optimize performance and effectively exploit our new and library content. Crucially you will need to apply these skills across a range of brands and different countries, flexing the schedules to meet audience and cultural expectations, whilst maintaining the alignment that delivers efficiencies and a consistent global brand.
As a brand ambassador you will be an excellent presenter and communicator, able to persuade and inspire people at all levels within our organization – both verbally and in written communication.
You will be an inspiring team leader, able to develop planners at all levels and create a strong team spirit across wide geographical locations. You will be the key point person for the brands that you manage, communicating effectively with the local teams, the wider Pay TV group e.g. Marketing and VOD, as well as clearly articulating strategy to the US channels.
• Lead factual scheduling teams in developing strategies which maximize performance, whilst giving precedence to the flagship channels
• Build the factual team from the ground up, developing new ways of working to overcome challenges for challenges of multi-location
• Lead on pan-EMEA workshops and meetings
• Maintain a deep understanding of output deal content and phasing and align schedules accordingly to key international priorities
• ‘Hands-on’ planning of key market Discovery schedules – long term plans and prime time
• Coordinate a cross functional group to share scheduling strategy to ensure that schedules are complementary and that best practice is shared,
• Work with Research to build and maintain an in-depth knowledge of audiences and competitors and to identify opportunities and threats facing the portfolio of pay channels
• Lead a team that engages and partners with the Commercial team, ensuring that the commercial needs of the business are represented and reflected in scheduling strategy, proactively delivering upon commercial opportunities
• Grow new hits by working with the programming team to identify new opportunities that will stand out in a crowded marketplace
• Schedule competitively – examining competitors for new trends, threats and opportunities in linear and non-linear environments.
• Act as an ambassador for the department – building strong two-way relationships with Programming, Marketing, Sales, Research and Presentation, seeking their input into scheduling strategy where appropriate and sharing scheduling strategy accordingly
• Communicate scheduling initiatives and forthcoming highlights to Press, Marketing, Creative Services, Sales, New Media and Scheduling and ensuring key leaders in local teams are aware of and supported by schedule performance and strategy
• Responsible for the fulfillment of all Affiliate contractual obligations
• Work closely with VOD team to develop new products and optimize non-linear ways of consuming Discovery’s content
• Deputise for VP Factual brands in meetings and presentations and lead on cross-functional special projects as need
• A proven track record in developing schedule strategy ideally within a portfolio framework
• An analytical mind with creative flair
• Excellent attention to detail
• Excellent communication skills – needs to work at all levels of the organisation and co-operate with other departments
• High motivation
• Assertive, with a tenacious approach to problem solving
• An authoritative and confident team leader
• Resilience to cope with the pressure of tight deadlines and a demanding workload with changing priorities
• Deep understanding of audience research
• Passion for factual programming
• Commercial focus
Interested? Please send your motivation letter, incl. job title, and CV in English to firstname.lastname@example.org