In this role you are responsible for all corporate, internal and public affairs related to Discovery Benelux. This enquires an experienced media- and communications professional who has in depth knowledge of reputation management, profiling and messaging. Next to that the candidate has strong communication- and lobby skills, has a large network in the industry and knows all key B2B/B2C press.
Reporting to the VP Country Manager, this role would suit a highly self-motivated, self-starter who can influence at all levels and is comfortable playing at both a strategic and operational level. The candidate will be able to work autonomously to deliver in ambiguous situations and will thrive in a highly- matrixed environment. The Director Corporate Communications and Public Affairs is a part of the Benelux Management Team.
1. Corporate / Internal communications:
- Develop and implement business communications programs developing strategy, program and tactics to position the company’s executives, products and services with the industry, media, employees and local regulators.
- Write and implement all business communications materials including news releases, speeches, talking points and Q&A’s. Ensure the region’s compliance with the company’s corporate communications guidelines, company positioning, messaging and quality goals and supports senior management in presenting the business at networking, industry and press events.
- Generate and cultivate strong relations with key B2B and B2C media contacts to generate and maximize coverage.
- Work closely with the Country Manager and its Management Team to ensure a cohesive external message strategy and consistent branding in the market – particularly to align channel, sales and corporate interests and communication.
- Act as a strategic advisor- providing communications support and counsel to senior leaders.
- Assist the Affiliate Team in developing and managing relationships with regulatory bodies to obtain must-carry status for Discovery’s portfolio.
- Partner and network effectively with HR to support the business through change and transformation.
- Work closely with VP Corporate Communications EMEA and support EMEA team and stakeholders when needed
2. Public Affairs:
- Represent Discovery Benelux to the following stakeholders: MP’s Lower Chamber focusing on Media, Economics and Justice, Ministries of Culture & Science, Justice and Economics, VCO, PA Commission Screenforce.
- Prioritize and analyze regulatory and public policy consultations and debates, and to assist in the development of strategies to respond to these.
- Determine Discovery’s Benelux point of view- and strategy on all issues, working closely with the VP Country Manager and Director Affiliate Sales.
- Responsible for management of external PA agency.
- Partner, consult and update the VP Government affairs for EMEA on issues which also play at European level.
- Follow and share all issue- and stakeholder related developments in the media and through the daily Lower House alerts.
- Bachelor’s degree with 10+ years’ experience in related field or an equivalent combination of skills. Preferably in an international (media) company or agency.
- Strong strategic and advisory skills.
- Highly organized, confident and proactive team player.
- Demonstration of devising and implementing creative and strategic communication plans.
- Ability to work with a variety of stakeholders across a global company (C-level and senior executives).
- Deep understanding of the regulatory and public policy institutions and regimes in the Benelux and how these relate to and impact on Benelux business.
- Ability to build and nurture relationships with press and key stakeholders.
- Experience of crisis management. Flexibility under tight deadlines and the ability to respond to urgent issues with calm and professionalism.
- Ability to assess priorities and always maintain composure and diplomacy.
- Ability to articulate a variety of messages to different audiences.
- Excellent written and communication skills in English.
- Experience and understanding of corporate positioning requirements within the Benelux market.
- An understanding of the regulatory and public policy institutions and regimes in the Benelux, and how these relate to and impact on Discovery Benelux business
Interested? Send an email with CV and motivation to the career website.